Panama Kayaking: Guna Yala Archipelago
Caribbean kayaking with the indigenous Gunas
9 day trip 5 days kayaking, jungle hikes
Our Panama sea kayak adventure is an authentic Caribbean journey exploring the Guna Yala archipelago, also known as the San Blas islands. With special permission from local chiefs, we’re privileged to kayak among the archipelago’s 350 islands and sand cays. Be welcomed as guests into the Guna Yala communities where tourism is strictly controlled and traditional culture remains strong. We travel by road from Panama City to the port of Barsuggum and then a short boat transfer takes us to Tigre Island, where the kayak adventure begins. We’ll paddle along a stretch of islands through an area of outstanding beauty and biological diversity, using a local panga boat to carry our fresh food and water. We’ll beach camp on deserted islands and snorkel over some of the Caribbean’s most diverse coral reefs. The isthmus of Panama is a prolific natural corridor linking North and South America, with vast undisturbed forests that are home to monkeys, toucans, birds of prey, giant otters and tapirs. We’ll spend a day hiking along a freshwater river that flows through primary jungle and enjoy a refreshing dip in the crystal, clear water. Join us for a spectacular Panama kayaking adventure holiday, blending Guna Yala culture, astonishing reefs and rainforest, and of course, hammock time!
Share with your friends
2020 & 2021 Departures
19 - 27 Dec 2020, 9 - 17 Jan 2021, 20 - 28 Mar 2021
2021: From US $2195: 7–12 PAX US $2195, 3–6 PAX: US $2295, 2 PAX: US $2495
All meals, twin share accommodation, land and boat transfers between Panama City and Guna Yala.
- * All trip costs are listed in US dollars
- * Single Supplement: $110
Meet at Panama City, Panama
- Day 1
- Pre trip briefing & overnight in a Panama City hotel.
- Day 2
- Road and boat transfer to Tigre, kayak orientation. Camping.
- Days 3–4
- Kayak through island chain. Camping.
- Day 5
- Paddle to mainland for rainforest walk, return to island. Camping.
- Days 6-7
- Kayak to Estrellita and Birdirup islands. Camping.
- Day 8
- Land transfer to Panama City. Visit to Panama Canal. Overnight hotel.
- Day 9
- Airport transfer. End of trip.