Panama Kayaking: Guna Yala Archipelago
Caribbean kayaking with the indigenous Gunas
9 day trip 5 days kayaking, jungle hikes
Our revised Panama sea kayak adventure is a real Caribbean journey exploring the San Blas archipelago, home to the indigenous Guna Yala Nation, formerly Kuna Yala. With special permissions from local chiefs, we’re privileged to kayak among the archipelago’s 350 islands and sand cays, and to be welcomed as guests into Guna communities where tourism is strictly controlled and traditional culture remains strong. We travel by road from Panama City to the port of Barsuggum and then short boat transfer to Tigre Island to begin our adventure. We’ll paddle along a stretch of islands through this area of outstanding beauty and biological diversity, using a local panga boat to carry our fresh food and water. We’ll beach camp on deserted islands and snorkel over some of the Caribbean’s most diverse coral reefs. The isthmus of Panama is a prolific natural corridor linking North and South America, with vast undisturbed forests that are home to monkeys, toucans, birds of prey, giant otters and tapirs. We’ll spend a day exploring a crystal clear freshwater river that flows through primary jungle and taking a rainforest walk. Join us for a spectacular Panama kayaking adventure holiday, blending Guna culture, astonishing reefs and rainforest, and of course, some tropical relaxation.
Share with your friends
26 Jan – 3 Feb, 16 – 24 Feb, 21 – 29 Dec
25 Jan – 2 Feb, 15 –23 Feb
2019 & 2020: From US $2195: 7–12 PAX US $2195, 3–6 PAX: US $2295, 2 PAX: US $2495
All meals except dinner on Day 1 and lunch on Day 8, twin share accommodation, land and boat transfers between Panama City and Guna Yala.
Dinner on Day 1, lunch on Day 8.
- * All trip costs are listed in US dollars
- * Single Supplement: $110
Meet at Panama City, Panama
- Day 1
- Pre trip briefing & overnight in a Panama City hotel.
- Day 2
- Road and boat transfer to Tigre, kayak orientation. Camping.
- Days 3–4
- Kayak through island chain. Camping.
- Day 5
- Paddle to mainland for rainforest walk, return to island. Camping.
- Days 6-7
- Kayak to Estrellita and Birdirup islands. Camping.
- Day 8
- Land transfer to Panama City. Visit to Panama Canal. Afternoon free. Overnight hotel.
- Day 9
- Airport transfer. End of trip.