West Greenland Kayaking Explorer
Paddle the deep fjords and witness astounding wildlife
11 day trip 7 days kayaking
An unforgettable ship-based kayak exploration of Greenland's West coast.
Kayak Greenland's West coast on this exciting eleven day ship-based trip. The rugged beauty of the coast is dissected by long and deep fjords. Massive glaciers front the sea and rocky shorelines dominate the landscape. This yields a wonderfully vast and varied coastline, ideal for exploration by ship and kayak. You will be left with long lasting memories from this stunning experience.
The relatively mild waters of the Gulf Stream influence this area meaning food is more available and wildlife abounds. There is no better way to get up close to arctic wildlife than from a kayak, on Greenland's west coast. Migratory birds rule the craggy cliffs, such as fulmars, guillemots and ptarmigans. Whales are never far away, most commonly fin, humpback and minke whales. Seals will be our companions throughout the trip such as ringed seals, harp seals, and hooded seals. There will be plenty of time to make landings too. Be on the lookout for land species such as arctic fox, musk ox and reindeer.
West Greenland is the original home to the kayak. The predecessors to our study craft were used for traditional hunting throughout the area. We will visit beautiful multi-coloured villages set in remote and rugged settings. Take time to walk in the villages and immerse yourself in the way of life in this harsh environment.
An expedition style trip
This trip is run in true expedition style. This means that while we have a planned itinerary the specific day-by-day details will unfold as we go. This leaves plenty of scope for changing our plans to take advantage of the weather, wind, ice and sea conditions. We plan to explore our way up the coast from Nuuk as far north as Upernavik, with planned visits to
> Greenland's second largest town Sisimiut,
> the beautiful carving glacier of Sermeq Kujalleq in Ilulissat that fronts the ocean,
> Eqip Sermia, another spectacular carving glacier,
> the beautiful Uummannaq fjord and archipelago,
> the rich marine life around the mountainous Disko Island.
Return to Nuuk
Your expedition will conclude with a sea passage back to Nuuk. There is plenty of time to relax and unwind from the busy days of paddling and walking. Time to enjoy to onboard lectures, swap stories and photos with new friends. Reflect on your time among the wildlife, the towering icebergs and on the clear deep waters of the fjords. It will be time well spent and the memories will last long after you return home.
Share with your friends
Easy to Moderate
18 May - 28 May
From AU $10,900
Airport transfer on arrival and first night's accommodation in hotel. Half day tour of Nuuk on Day 2, prior to boarding ship. Accommodation and meals aboard ship, kayak guide, all paddling equipment including dry suit. Group transfer from ship to airport on Day 11.
All airfares, other pre- and post-cruise accommodation and other transfers.
- * Cost depends on cabin chosen.
- * All trip costs are listed in Australian dollars.
Meet in Nuuk, group hotel.
- Day 1, Nuuk.
- Arrive in Nuuk, transfer to hotel. Remainder of day is at your leisure.
- Day 2, board ship.
- Morning city tour of Nuuk (included). Evening board MV Greg Mortimer, kayak briefing.
- Days 3 - 9, Greenland's West Coast
- Our day to day itinerary will be directed by the ice, wind and weather as we make our way north exploring this wild and rugged coastline. Kayaking opportunities abound as we paddle in deep fjords, past glaciers and ice choked rocky bays. We will keep our eyes peeled for whales and seals in the surrounding waters and will make regular shore breaks to scan for land based wildlife.
- Day 10, At sea.
- As the journey's end draws near we will retrace our steps to Nuuk. This time will be spent whale watching or relaxing on the ship.
- Day 11, trip concludes.
- Disembark ship, group transfer to airport.