Iceland, Jan Mayen and Svalbard
A rare and special opportunity to visit an isolated gem of the Arctic
11 day trip 6 days kayaking
Remote wilderness, stunning beauty - New itinerary for 2020!
Join a select few as we seek out the most exciting paddling outings on this exploratory voyage. A trio of geological spectacles provide a humbling glimpse of raw volcanic beauty inhabited by countless sea birds. We begin our kayak journeys beneath the dramatic bird cliffs of Iceland's Westfjords, bustling with puffins and guillemots on their narrow ledges. We travel to the remote and seldom-visited Jan Mayen island – home to 2250m high Mount Beerenberg, the world’s northernmost active volcanic island. Weather permitting we kayak a volcanic landscape sculpted and hewn by geologic painters. As we travel further north along the ice edge we'll search for polar bears hunting and walrus hauled out on pack ice. As we reach the northern coasts of Svalbard we have the opportunity to paddle through impressive glacier-filled fjords and perhaps stretch our legs on tundra hikes, .
Share with your friends
12 June - 22 June
Accommodation and meals aboard ship, kayak guide, all paddling equipment including dry suit.
All other airfares and pre- and post-cruise accommodation and transfers.
- * Cost depends on cabin chosen
- * All trip costs are listed in Australian dollars
Meet at Reykjavik, Iceland
- Day 1
- Arrive Reykjavik, Iceland, embark the MV Greg Mortimer. Evening kayak briefing.
- Day 2-3
- West and North-West Iceland. Kayak exploration of the fjords of this remote part of Iceland. area
- Day 4
- At sea. Cross the Denmark Strait to Jan Mayen island accompanied by thousands of sea birds and enjoy the lectures from our onboard experts.
- Day 5
- Jan Mayen. Exploration kayaking in this most remote outpost. We will aim to paddle in the sheltered bay of Kvalrossbukta.
- Day 6-7
- At sea. Watching for whales we will travel north along the ice edge towards Svalbard.
- Day 8-10
- Northern Svalbard. Spectacular kayaking opportunities await us on the north-west coast of Svalbard.
- Day 11
- Longyearbyen, Svalbard. Disembark after breakfast. Trip concludes.
- Call or email our office to request detailed trip notes.