Iceland and Greenland Kayak Expedition
Explore the wildest and most remote Arctic regions.
12 day trip 9 days kayaking
This custom expedition combines the magic of Iceland with the raw wilderness of Greenland. Based from the relative comfort of our floating base camp (a sturdy 80 ft sailboat) we search out by kayak and foot new and inspiring adventures everyday. The wildlife is abundant, the landscapes are breathtaking and at the end of every day, gourmet meals and warm, comfortable bunks await.
We’ll start in the town of Ísafjörður Iceland, and spend 3 days exploring Hornstrandir Nature Reserve. Perfect for kayaking and hiking adventures this area features towering sea walls home to thousands of nesting sea birds such as Puffins, Arctic Terns, Black Guillemots, Kittiwakes, Razorbills and Fulmars. The sheltered fjords and bays provide calm anchorages and contain lush valleys filled with colourful wild flowers and beautiful sandy beaches.
We’ll then cross the Denmark Strait in just over a day, accompanied by dolphins and on a sharp lookout for orcas and other whales. Massive icebergs on the horizon ensure we are closing on the Greenland coast, confirmed by a majestic skyline of one of the Arctic's highest mountain ranges.
Huge alpine peaks many of which are yet to be climbed rise almost vertically from the sea reaching heights up to 3600m. Glaciers carve their way down through these mountains and expel huge quantities of ice into the ocean, providing us with a paddling playground of icebergs to explore. With numerous options for hiking and kayaking we’ll spend seven days exploring this raw and wild region. Polar bears, whales and seals are common in the area and we hope to see them as we explore this magnificent and unspoilt region.
We are pleased to offer Stand Up Paddle Boards as a great way to explore the nearby waterways when at anchor.
We will slowly make our way down to Kulusuk an area rich in East Greenlandic culture. We visit at least one village and get the opportunity to meet the people. Our arrival in Kulusuk marks the end of the trip. You’ll fly out of Kulusuk back to Iceland.
Share with your friends
2018 (12 day trip, 9 days kayaking)
29 Jul – 09 Aug
2019: From 6270€ (Euros): 9 PAX: 6270€, 8 PAX: 6750€, 7 PAX: 7500€, 6 PAX: 8500€
Kayaks and all kayaking equipment, including drysuit, Guide, Skipper, All meals while on the trip, except for evening dinner on Day 1. 12 days on the yacht, sailing instruction, arrival transfer from the airport to the harbour on Day 1. Stand up paddle boards and instruction.
Airfares, travel insurance, alcohol, meals in town in Iceland and any hotels in Iceland or Greenland. Wetsuit booties are not provided.
- * Trip costs are in Euros.
- * Accommodation is single berths in two person and four person cabins.
- * Sleeping bags recommended for warmth on the deck.
Meeting Place to be confirmed.
- Day 1
- Arrive in Isafjordur in the morning, board the yacht in the evening, depart at 19:00. Sail to Seyoisfjordur Fjord. Short hike or paddle in the evening.
- Day 2
- Paddle to Vigur island, home to thousands of seabirds. Afternoon sail, kayak or hike to Jokulfjordur Fjord.
- Day 3
- Enter Hornstrandir Nature Reserve, paddle and short hike. Afternoon departure for Greenland.
- Day 4
- At sea crossing Denmark Strait to Greenland.
- Day 5-7
- Arrive Greenland, Explore Kangerdlussuaq Fjord by Kayak/Hike/Sail. Start lookout for polar bears!
- Day 8
- Hiking and kayaking in the Nigertulik fjord system.
- Day 9
- Adventuring in Kangertigtivatsiaq Fjord.
- Day 10
- Kayaking the inner bays of Sermiligaq fjord.
- Day 11
- Explore enroute to Kulusuk. Celebratory meal on board.
- Day 12
- Fly out of Kulusuk. Trip concludes.