Melanesia: Papua New Guinea Explorer
Sea kayak exotic PNG —Kayak Remote Atolls
13 day voyage 9–10 days kayaking
Join us on a unique voyage exploring the wild beauty and exotic culture of Papua New Guinea. Discover rugged mountains, palm-fringed white sand beaches, volcanoes and remote, untamed rivers. Culturally rich, the region is home to more than 800 distinct languages. Experience incredible meetings with the islanders, beginning with a warm welcome from locals paddling their wooden canoes.
From the volcanic region of Rabaul, our voyage heads southwards through the nutrient rich waters of the New Britain Trench to the Trobriand Islands, sometimes called the ‘Islands of Love’. The inhabitants have worked hard to keep the indigenous culture alive and today still live in the way they have for countless generations. Our sturdy ship continues to the coral fringed islands of the Louisiade Archipelago before heading to the wild D’Entrecasteaux Islands. As we head north-west along the main island of Papua New Guinea, we'll explore fiords, sandy beaches, jungles and wild islands. Our voyage ends in the port town of Madang.
Kayak remote atolls, snorkel some of the world’s best coral reefs, walk through untouched rainforest and gain cultural insights through interactions with the local people on this amazing voyage of discovery!
Easy to Moderate
17 – 29 April
From USD $7975
Accommodation and meals aboard ship, kayak guide, all paddling equipment, snorkel equipment where available. One night accommodation Rabaul, airport transfers at the beginning and end of voyage.
Optional specialized birding and diving programmes, extensions, passport, visa, immigration fees, airfares, pre- and post-cruise accommodation and transfers.
- * Includes US $500 Discovery Fee which covers landing costs and fees at each island.
- * Cost depends on cabin chosen
- * All trip costs are listed in US dollars
Meet at Madang, Papua New Guinea
- Day 1
- Fly to Rabaul, transfer to hotel. Welcome briefing over dinner. Short kayak introduction.
- Day 2
- Explore Rabaul WW11 sites, dynamic markets. Board Spirit of Enderby in the afternoon, set sail for Jaquinot Bay, New Britain. Kayak Briefing.
- Day 3
- Explore SE coast of New Britain and enjoy your first PNG sing sing.
- Day 4
- Trobriand islands, Kitava, Naruto. Stunning kayaking.
- Day 5-6
- Explore the remote Louisiade Archipelago, Misima Island, Deboyne Islands & Tabula Island.
- Day 7-8
- D’Entrecasteaux Islands, Normanby ,Dobu and Fergusson Islands.
- Day 9
- Cape Nelson, Tufi Harbour. The Tufi fjords feature 25 stunning basalt canyons to paddle in.
- Day 10
- Kamiali Wildlife Management Area and Fly Islands.
- Day 11
- New Britain (Wako) and Arame Islands.
- Day 12
- Vitiaz Strait – Tuam and Umboi Island with traditional welcome dance during a shore visit.
- Day 13
- Arrive Madang. Village tour, disembark and transfer to hotel or airport.
- *Call or email our office to request detailed itinerary.